A married relationship licence shows anyone doing your marriage (the wedding officiant) which you have actually met all of the requirements that are legal be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta marriage licences can be obtained from the registry agent workplace.
A registry representative dilemmas a document that is 2-part. The top component is a Registration of Marriage plus the bottom level may be the wedding licence.
The full document (enrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) should be directed at the wedding officiant that’ll be doing your wedding. That is a document that is legal needs to be kept in good shape and never folded as it’s completely archived.
Conditions for a married relationship
Banns (postings or notices in a church) aren’t appropriate instead of a wedding licence.
There are not any residency or citizenship needs.
There is absolutely no right time frame that have to pass between your date a couple comes in Alberta and also the date a married relationship licence is granted.
Blood tests are not essential.
A married relationship licence is valid for a couple of months through the date it really is released.
A marriage can take put the day that is same wedding licence is given. There’s no waiting time.
An Alberta wedding licence is just legitimate for the Alberta wedding. The marriage has to take spot in Alberta.
If you should be currently hitched, you simply can’t apply for an Alberta wedding licence.
Whenever having the wedding licence, you need to:
- Use together during the registry representative workplace
- Some exceptions may use, talk to a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm more than one affidavits
- It’s an offense to swear/affirm an affidavit that is false
- Offer your private information, and the entire names and delivery places of the moms and dads (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a wedding licence, you simply cannot:
- Be under the influence of a alcohol or drug
- Be related to each other as a grandparent, parent, child, sibling or grandchild, by whole blood, half adoption or blood
- Either individual getting hitched is hearing, message or aesthetically weakened
- Either individual getting hitched is an assisted adult with a court ordered co-decision manufacturer or represented adult with a guardianship purchase
You both must certanly be 18 years old or older.
You can apply for a marriage licence if all your parents and legal guardians consent to the marriage licence being issued, unless other conditions apply if you are younger than 18 years old. Talk to a registry representative for complete details.
If you’re more youthful than 16 years old, you simply can’t marry in Alberta.
That person may provide their birth certificate or immigration document – the other person must have appropriate ID if one of the few usually do not have appropriate ID
You can not be currently hitched (either to one another or somebody else).
Your marital that is legal status be one of several after:
- Evidence of divorce proceedings becomes necessary; the breakup document supplied should be the document that is finalas an example, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A divorce proceedings document that claims a married relationship is dissolved in X length of time is certainly not appropriate as it is impossible to learn in the event that last papers had been filed or even the divorce or separation ended up being contested throughout that time.
- Divorce or separation documents which are not in English needs to be translated; talk with a registry representative for interpretation needs.
- A death certification associated with the spouse that is deceased perhaps not required.
- Never ever been hitched
- No marital status papers are expected.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment is given via a court, the individuals marital status reverts back into just just what it had been before that annulled wedding took spot. The last status that is marital need to be proven. For instance:
- Whenever marital status before the annulment is divorced, evidence of divorce proceedings should be supplied as well as a content associated with court ordered annulment
- If the past marital status is never mail-order-bride biz site been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document is necessary
Whenever a wedding had been annulled, a duplicate for the court ordered annulment must be supplied. Spiritual and annulments that are tribunal maybe not accepted, just court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents that aren’t in English must certanly be translated. Talk to a registry representative for translation demands.
When getting a wedding licence, both associated with people who can be engaged and getting married must certanly be proficient in English (since appropriate documents are increasingly being finalized), otherwise an interpreter will become necessary. Whenever an interpreter will become necessary, it really is your obligation to offer one.
The interpreter should be:
- 18 yrs old or older
- Proficient both in English plus the language translation that is requiring
If the registry agent worker issuing the wedding licence is fluent when you look at the other language, then that registry representative worker might function as interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The couple trying to get a married relationship licence cannot interpret/translate for every other.
There was a $40 federal government charge for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge service charge. Provider charges differ among registry agents.
Just how to apply
Step One. Make certain you qualify to utilize for a wedding licence
The wedding must certanly be occurring in Alberta over the following a couple of months.
Before using, make certain you along with your spouse that is intended are.
Action 2. Gather your write-ups
Simply take your appropriate ID to you to obtain the wedding licence.
Other papers may be needed, such as for example divorce proceedings papers. Contact a registry representative, they could verify exactly just what papers you will require.
Step 3. Visit the registry representative workplace
Head to a registry representative along with your spouse that is intended ID and papers, thereby applying for a wedding licence.
Once you use
A wedding licence is given although you wait.
If you fail to have all of the information and documents required, the procedure is supposed to be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence to your ceremony and present it to your marriage officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document extremely closely for mistakes whenever you obtain it and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Will have mistakes corrected straight away.
Prior to the ceremony happens, mistakes may be corrected by a registry representative.
Following the ceremony happens, mistakes needs to be corrected by an amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any information that has been supplied once the wedding licence had been given.
Connect to Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory vacations) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 ahead of the contact number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
When it comes to deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll TTY that is free 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5